banner

Chapel of the Nativity

Window Tour - Chapel Of The Nativity 1 Window Tour - Chapel Of The Nativity 2
Window Tour - Chapel Of The Nativity 3 Window Tour - Chapel Of The Nativity 4 Window Tour - Chapel Of The Nativity 5

 

The Chapel of the Nativity was given by the Constable family, founders of the Arnold Constable department store formerly at Fortieth Street and Fifth Avenue. The windows and the altarpiece were purchased from a private family chapel in England. The windows were made by the C.E. Kempe Company, one of the oldest glassmaking firms in England.

The altar depicts the Last Supper in high relief. The windows feature Christmas themes: the Annunciation to the Virgin Mary, the Annunciation to the shepherds, and the revelation of Christ’s birth to the world. The mosaic floors depict the names of the Messiah from Isaiah 9:6: Wonderful Counselor, the Mighty God, the Everlasting Father, the Prince of Peace. The railing above the chapel bears carved oak statues of Saint James the Less, Saint Matthew, Christ, Saint Paul, and Saint Polycarp, an early church bishop.

The chapel was dedicated on All Saints Day, 1903. The architect was Henry Vaughan.

Next to the chapel, the apostles window shows Saint Matthew, Saint John, Saint Peter, and Saint Paul. It was made by Heston, Butler & Bayne of London.

View next window in tour



Comments are closed.